Sunday, January 18, 2009

Still waiting...

For those of you who have gone into labor in your lives.... a question....

Did you have any signs, or did it happen without much warning?

5 comments:

lauriannjane said...

I had Braxton Hicks during the week leading to labor - at night. That was really my only sign. Good luck - I'm thinking about you always!

Anonymous said...

Apparently my signs were only visible to other people: the day before my water broke, my choir advisor asked if it was going to break onstage at our concert that weekend (it broke 90 minutes after rehearsal the next night), and the day that my water broke, my advisor said something about if I wasn't going to be there the next day to just call him. When my water broke that night before I went to bed, I was absolutely shocked. And my BH contractions had actually decreased a lot in the last few days of my pregnancy.

Thinking about you!

littlegrammie said...

Everyone is different. The only thing I can tell you is that it doesn't happen like it does in the movies with the woman suddenly screaming and falling to the floor and clutching her belly in agony. It just doesn't happen that fast. It comes on a bit more gradual than that. I had Braxton Hicks from about the 5th month on so that wasn't a very good sign. With Brett they got intense enough the day before that I couldn't sleep that night. I called the dr. to ask him what I could do to sleep because the Braxton Hicks were keeping me awake. He said he better check me first. When he did he looked at me and said, "You're in labor, honey." I was completely surprised. He told me that I should have my husband drive me right to the hospital. When I told him that I would have to go home first because I drove myself to the doctor's office he looked just as surprised as I had when he told me I was in labor.

Everyone is different. Your story will be different from any other woman's.

lauriannjane said...

a couple more thoughts - YOU were a very "by the book" labor and delivery. No wild stories there. Also, the "nesting instinct" that is supposed to be a sign, was present the whole last month, and was not a big clue, as some books lead you to believe. Definitely more of a mental need to be ready because of one's awareness of a due date, rather than anything strong, physical, rushing around thing. Also, two of my labors came to a sudden and screeching halt the minute I crossed the hospital threshold. Fortunately I convinced them not to send me home because it started up again after a couple of hours.

Kara said...

I had every *sign* in the world, except regular, steady contractions, and still: I was induced. My good friend had no *signs,* and went into easy, fast labor on her own. Don't overthink it -- watch weepy TV and read People magazine. Get a massage. Sleep.