We've done everything on our to-do list (almost), but I keep thinking of things I never thought of. For example-- if I'm planning to breastfeed should I have bought some bottles too? Or were they included with the pump I bought? Do I make up the co-sleeper/bassinet with sheets now, or will I have time when I get home? Should I make meals for the freezer? If so, does one freeze a meatloaf all cooked or just all mixed and ready for the oven? Was I supposed to get a "crib skirt" and "bumpers" ? And what about a video camera? What kind of music does one want in labor, if any?
What if I have 3 weeks left?
6 comments:
I always had a couple of bottles "just in case," but David was the only one refused me at first and had to have a bottle to get the knack of things. I would fix the meatloaf without cooking and freeze it. I would also make up the sleeping things and lay a pillowcase o ver it to keep it clean and dustfree. I can't remember your other questions! And they are not on this screen. And,for my part, I printed from Mapquest thedirections to St. Francis!!! So excited.
Deep breath. If there's no bottles, any number of people can run out and get them for you. Make up the bassinet now; it will give you something to do. Follow your Mom's instructions on the meat loaf. Don't worry about the skirt or bumpers -- inconsequential. Maybe a family member will have a video camera, but I always liked photos more. Music will be the last thing on your mind in labor. Better to figure out which curse words get you the most fired up. If you have three weeks left, yes, you will go insane, but you will recover... eventually. :) (I'm kidding. Really.)
There are going to many, many things you haven't thought of or haven't prepared for -- in labor, when your baby is a newborn, or when they're five. You'll figure it out. All they need is love, lots of book reading, and your best effort. Trust me on that -- I've made plenty of *mistakes,* and so far, the kiddos seem just fine. ;)
Oh yes, definitely have bottles on hand. You never know when you may have to go out and I think the only way Father Ken will be able to feed the little one (little Henry?)is with a bottle. Maybe you should check to see if there are any with the breast pump.
Oh yes, I would make up the crib. How can you resist?! I had all my kid's beds made up so far ahead of time. You will not feel like making a bed when you come home. Not at all.
A crib skirt is just "fluff". The baby (little Henry) will never know that he doesn't have one and he won't care either.
Music in labor?? I don't think you will really care. The only thing that will be music to your ears is the doctor saying, "Okay, your 10cm dilated. I think we (notice how many times they say "we") can start pushing now. When I worked on the OB floor we had a doctor who decided the women should have music. He dragged in these GIGANTIC speakers and connect them to a tape player and then blasted out march music. It was SO awful. The ladies in labor made him turn it off.
I'm a huge "freezer cooker" even without an impending bubba! I love eating meals that I've cooked - I know exactly what's in them - but don't always have time to cook. Check out this link: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=280567
It'll give you some great ideas and recipes for frozen meals. Also, here's an awesome guide to how to freeze things and how long they should be kept for:
http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=106869
I wish I were there to make up some meals for you!
I'm going to be late for work because I am excited about waiting for Baby. I am also in a panic because I am going to be gone almost without phone service Thursday night...but you prob won't be that early.
I will make freezer dinners when I inconveniently visit you in Feb. I will do your laundry and let you nap and make freezer dinners and (sarah, avert your eyes:) rub your feet.
Call Auntie Liz. She will run out and get you ANYTHING you need. That way she will be able to sneak a peek at Beautiful Baby.
Post a Comment