Tuesday, February 01, 2005

wonderbread and skippy

I thought my most recent bread-baking adventure would end in utter disaster. But, unlike so many other bread adventures, this one was not a huge time investment, so I didn't really care. On the back of the 5lb bag of King Arthur's Stone Ground Whole Wheat flour there is a recipe for 100% whole wheat bread. I've been having good luck with the honey-whole wheat loaf in Betty Crocker, but it's only half "whole wheat." So this new recipe seemed like a crock, because when you "dissolve" the yeast, you do so in 2 Tbs of water--not "warm" water or "very warm" water (aren't those awfully ambiguous designations anyway?)--just water. Another advantage of this recipe is that you don't have to roll the dough into a 18" by 9" rectangle, and then meticulously roll it up so as to prevent air bubbles. You just dump the sticky ol' stuff into a pan and let it rise. I mean, it really didn't seem like it would work. However, it did! The loaf is substantial, but not dense; flavorful, but not overpowering. But the simplicity! Short of having a bread machine, it's the easiest way to get homebaked whole wheat!

For the first year of marriage we are trying our hardest to be domestic gods and goddesses. August 15th 2005, it's back to Wonderbread and Skippy.

My presentation on "219" and The Armory Show went really well, kudos to Banta for giving me a very impressive "in." There is a book by Marius de Zayas entitled something like How, When, and Why Modern Art Came to NY... in which there is a lovely story about Banta and Arthur Stieglitz. Although in one copy "Frueh" is misspelled as "Fruch."

Still no playmate for Lula, we're going to meet a kitty on Friday though!


1 comment:

Katie said...

Congratulations on your presentation. Surely Banta made his own name but I think it is so nice to see so many family members with such pride in carrying on his legend! Fantastic! As for whole wheat, I enjoyed making my first whole wheat pizzas almost two weeks ago. No Boboli here!